- Maverick Viñales starts from pole for the fourth time this year. His three previous poles this year have resulted in wins at Catalunya and Silverstone, and a crash at Le Mans.
- Championship-leader Sandro Cortese, who starts from second place on the grid, has finished on the podium seven times in the first eight Moto3 races of the year.
- Alex Rins starts from the front row for only the second time in his GP career – his other front row start was when he was on pole at Jerez.
- Heading the second row of the grid is Efren Vazquez, who will be aiming to finish on the podium for the first time since he was third at Misano last year.
- In the middle of the second row is Danny Kent – his fifth top-five qualifying result so far in 2012.
- Niccolo Antonelli is in sixth place on the grid and the highest placed Italian rider in qualifying.
- In eighth place on the grid is Romano Fenati, which is his best qualifying result since he was sixth-fastest qualifier at the third race of the year at Estoril.
- Antonelli and Fenati will both be aiming to become the first Italian to finish on the podium in the lightweight class of GP racing at Mugello since Simone Corsi won the 125cc Italian GP in 2008.