- Pol Espargaro starts from pole for the second time this year – his other was at Silverstone where he also won the race.
- Marc Marquez starts from the front row of the grid for the eighth time this year. Marquez has won for the last two years at Mugello – the 125cc race in 2010 and the Moto2 race last year.
- Johann Zarco is third fastest in qualifying, which would have been his best result since moving up to Moto2, but he will start from 18th place on the grid due to a penalty applied by race direction after an incident in practice.
- Taking Zarco’s place on the front row is Andrea Iannone, who won the Moto2 race at Mugello two years ago.
- Alex de Angelis now heads up the second row of the grid, which is his best qualifying result so far in 2012.
- Starting from fifth place on the grid is Thomas Luthi, who finished sixth last year at Mugello after starting in 24th.
- Taking the final place on the second row is Bradley Smith, who won the 125cc race at Mugello in 2009 and finished third in the Moto2 race last year less than half a second behind Marquez.